The 5th-year master's degree option allows Brown undergraduates to continue at the university for a master's degree after completing their bachelor's degree. We prepare our MAT candidates for certification in English, history/social studies, math, and science (biology, chemistry, and physics) in grades 7-12. Concentrators in these fields and in allied concentrations are encouraged to apply.
5th-year applicants apply with the regular application pool. The application deadline for 2023 entry was January 17, 2023. The application portal will reopen in early September 2023 for the next admissions cycle.
Application Process and Materials
- Students apply during their senior year.
- Students from all concentrations can apply but need to meet discipline-specific coursework requirements to be considered for admission. These requirements can be found on the How to Apply page, listed by content area.
- Application fee is waived for Brown students.
- Students are able to apply EDUC 1675 (Principles of Teaching and Learning) toward the MAT degree.
- When creating your application please do not use your Brown email address. If you request a deferral, the Brown email address becomes inactivated.
- The online application form
- Two letters of recommendation (instead of 3)
- The Statement of Purpose
- An unofficial transcript from Brown
Indicating 5th-Year in Application:
Once in the application portal, under Personal Background - Additional Questions, there will be a Current Student Status section. Indicate that you're currently a student at Brown University and enter your Banner ID.